How To Tie A Taekwondo Belt
If This Video is not visible, most likely your browser does not support HTML5 video
The Belt Colors of Taekwondo
Colour – Meaning
White – Signifies innocence, as that of a beginning student who has no previous knowledge of Taekwondo.
Yellow – Signifies the Earth from which a plant sprouts and takes root as the Taekwondo foundation is being laid.
Green – Signifies the plant’s growth as the Taekwondo skill begins to develop.
Blue – Signifies the Heaven, towards which the plant matures into a towering tree as training in Taekwondo progresses.
Red – Signifies danger, cautioning the student to exercise control and warning the opponent to stay away.
Black – Opposite of White, therefore signifying the maturity and proficiency in Taekwondo. It also indicates the wearer’s imperviousness to darkness and fear.
Cleaning Uniform and Belt:
It is important to keep your tae kwon do uniform neat, clean and pressed. This demonstrates respect for your school, instructors and yourself. Special care is required when washing your tae kwon do uniform. It can be damaged and prematurely worn out if washed incorrectly.
- Remove all Velcro patches, pins and other temporary decorations attached to the tae kwon do uniform. These could come off during the washing process and could cause damage to the uniform itself.
- Select your laundry detergent carefully. Avoid colored laundry detergents that can stain white tae kwon do uniforms. Also avoid stain removers with color added. They can turn white uniforms yellow. Dye free detergents are best. Never use bleach on a tae kwon do uniform. It can weaken the material leading to holes and tears.
- Wash your tae kwon do uniform with in the regular cycle with cold water. Hot water will shrink the uniform and could cause the color on the patches to run. Cold water will extend the life of the tae kwon do uniform. Make sure to only wash the uniform with other white items. Color dye can run in the washing machine changing the color of your tae kwon do uniform.
- Gently dry your tae kwon do uniform. It is preferable to hang it up and allow it to air dry. This will reduce wear on the uniform and extend its life. You can place your tae kwon do uniform in a clothes dryer, but remove it when it is still slightly damp and hang it up. This will reduce wrinkling.
- Press your tae kwon do uniform with an iron on the “cotton” setting if needed. If you allowed your uniform to dry on a hanger, it probably wont need to be ironed. If you allowed it to fully dry in the clothes dryer or want it to look especially crisp for a promotion ceremony, then a gentle pressing will improve the appearance. Check that the iron is clean before beginning. Stains on the iron will transfer to the tae kwon do uniform.
Tips & Warnings
The belt of a tae kwon do uniform should never be washed. It is an age old tradition to allow belts to wear out naturally. Washing a tae kwon do belt is said to wash out all the knowledge that you gained.